Ok, so the title might be a little strong concerning the topic at hand, but I wanted to share some thoughts.
When I logged onto my twitter to see a wall full of Kevin Smith. Now, I love Kevin Smith; strictly in a heterosexual man crush sort of way. I think he is one of the most underrated people in hollywood, and is one my personal “most inspiring people.” I have loved acting ever since I was a little kid, but I have always been on the portly side. He gave me hope, and let me know that I didn’t have to be the most chiseled person out there to be able to act. Without his influence I probably would have never been brave enough to ever step out on stage. Without him I would have never been willing to put anything up on youtube, or start a podcast. Plus, I’m also a big guy into comic books, so it’s nice to have someone famous to pave the way as a shining example. He is truly a good guy and nothing that has happened can change that in my mind.
Netflix announced alot of titles that they are going to purge on Jan. 1, and one of the titles on that list was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, a movie staring, written, and directed by Kevin Smith. A blogger got ahold of this list and had this to say about the the title:
Smith took it all in stride, and left a cute and quippy reply on the article:
Wondering about the quick loss of holiday cheer he then took to twitter with a small three word question, “why the jab?”
Unfortunately this lead to some hate towards the author of the original blog article. Kevin Smith took to twitter once again to apologize for what a few of his fans had done.
It was never his intent to bring the mob down upon the author, but no matter how pure your intent to there will always be the few that can take it to the extreme. Did Kevin Smith strike back? Yes, but not against the author. He sent out an open reprimand to all those who would speak out to harshly against her in his blog article IF YOU LIKE MY STUFF, THEN YOU LIKE WOMEN. It all started as a tiny question, and it went wrong on both sides thanks to a few that decided to take it too far. On twitter alone Smith has over 2 million followers, how can anyone expect him to be able to keep a cap on that many people. The man himself says:
IF YOU LIKE ME OR ANY OF THE MOVIES/PODCASTS/CRAP I MAKE/DO…
THEN YOU SEE WOMEN AS NOT ONLY YOUR EQUAL, BUT ALSO YOUR BETTER.
SO PLEASE CONDUCT YOURSELVES IN THAT FASHION AT ALL TIMES.
IN THOUGHT, WORD AND DEED.
And remember folks, the penitent man is humble! Till next time my friends!
- After Accidental Troll-Feeding, Kevin Smith Reprimands Misogynists (jezebel.com)
- Kevin Smith ‘Haunted’ By What He Saw in ‘Blackfish’ (ecorazzi.com)
- Hear Kevin Smith’s Three Tips For Aspiring Filmmakers (NSFW) (openculture.com)
- Kevin Smith slams YouTube copyright crackdown (polygon.com)
- Kevin Smith’s ‘Tusk’ to Hit Theaters Fall 2014 Via A24, Demarest Films (thewrap.com)
- Silent Bob Speaks: If You Like My Stuff, Then You Like Women (brittanyjacqueline.wordpress.com)
- Kevin Smith Offers a Look at the Creature in Tusk (dreadcentral.com)
- Film News | Kevin Smith’s Tusk in pre-production (thejournalist.ie)
- Kevin Smith is the Batman (andishallblogbatman.wordpress.com)
- Kevin Smith Gives ‘Tusk’ Update: Trailer to Debut At Sundance, Composer Hired, Plus ‘Clerks 3′ Info (slashfilm.com)